(Picture updated 12/23/11;
Description updated 12/20/11)
LGBTQ Identities Part I - Sexual Identities
- Heterosexual: Sexual attraction towards those of a different binary gender.
- Homosexual: Sexual attraction towards those of the same gender.
- Bisexual: Sexual attraction towards two genders or gender the same or different to yours.
There’s a lot of debating about my provided definition of bisexual. As of now, the definition of bisexuality is very, very subjective. Within the bisexual community (myself included) there are many who are attracted to non-binary individuals and still identify as bisexual.
The term pansexual has not always been around, and many bisexuals identified as bisexual even though the “proper” definition did not fit them as they liked.
Those of us who are attracted to non-binary people have since been fighting for the definition of bisexuality to include us, or at least include the provided definition as another or alternative.
This “wrong” definition of bisexuality was in fact created by bisexuals, not people who aren’t or people who “don’t understand bisexuality” or “are confused about terms.”
- Pansexual: Sexual attraction towards all genders.
- Polysexual: Sexual attraction towards multiple genders.
- Skoliosexual: Sexual attraction towards genderqueer or non-binary people.
- Androsexuality: Sexual attraction towards men or masculinity.
*Depending on the person they may use Androphilia. I’ve heard both used for
- Gynesexuality: Sexual attraction towards women or femininity.
*Depending on the person that may use Gynophilia.
So, I’m sure most of you are familiar with a similar post that included several icons that had an identity and then a simple definition underneath it. Unfortunately that post was severely problematic. It had exclusive and erasing wording and had several definitions wrong with it.
I decided to create my own with more inclusive language, less erasive language, and proper definitions. (Though definitions can vary from region to region.) These icons are not all of the LGBTQ identities out there.There are limitless identities, and these are just some of the sexual identities that I know of.
Before you say “what about the asexuals?” like so many people before you, you might want to take the time to keep reading before you throw a fit.
This is also not the only one of these I’ll be doing. I’ll be creating more sets. One of which will be for asexual/demisexual/grey-a identities and another will be for gender identities. Stay tuned.
I’m very open to corrections and suggestions as long as they’re not rude.